This is the resource that no one interested in the Salonika campaign can afford to be without!
The SCS Trench Map Project now has two DVDs because of 31 new trench and sketch maps purchased from the National Archives, plus other material. We now have at least one map to cover every area of importance to the British Salonika Force. That’s 135 maps – an increase of 31 on the previous edition. This is a tremendous achievement and NM Editor, Tim Mole, is to be congratulated on his hard work and perseverance.
There are areas that were of importance to allied forces and areas mapped by British forces but of minor military importance which have had to be excluded on the grounds of cost. A full list of the maps is available as a PDF document.
The National Archives charged for providing scans of the new maps and, in addition to this cost, 10% of all DVD sales have to be paid to them. We were, though, able to choose from their definitive archive of several hundred maps. Given these additional costs the DVD prices have been revised as follows:
- Buying the DVDs for the first time: £40 including postage and packing
- ‘Upgrading’ from a previous SCS Maps DVD: £20 including postage and packing
For first time buyers – and excluding the other material – that works out at just 30 pence for each trench/sketch map. But that’s not all, Tim has added other new material to the DVDs:
- an 87-page personal account by Illtyd Davies, who served with ‘B’ Battery 100th Brigade RFA (with 22nd Division)
- ten ‘78s’ of music recorded by the ‘Roosters’ Concert Party.
The contents are now as follows:
- Books (80 PDFs)
- Cigarette Cards (11)
- Collections (3)
- Roosters Concert Party (10 MP3 files)
- Personal Accounts (2)
- Photographs (64)
- Postcards (73)
- The Balkan News (1)
- 135 Trench/Sketch Maps
- Manual of Map Reading
- Five articles regarding Map Making in Salonika
- Trench Maps Gazetteer
- Old & Modern Names of Trench Map Locations
Contact Tim to find out more or order a copy: